The trials and tribulations of a self-published steampunk writer

Sunday 20 May 2012

In the beginning...

Last Christmas I received a steampunk novel as a gift. It should have been right up my street. The 'blurb' on the back, even the cover art, gave me high hopes.

However, I thought it was really bad - poorly written and plodding. Utter crap, in fact. It made me incredibly cross that it had been published at all.

In a fit of childish pique I threw the offending article in the bin and shouted at it: "I will write a better book than you by Easter."

Well, I didn't quite make it for Easter, but my book* is nearly done.

I plan to post here about the book, how I found writing for the first time, and the process of publishing my stuff on the Kindle.

* "Book" is maybe a bit of an overclaim. Looking at word-count posts on tinterweb, I reckon it's coming in as either a short novel or a long novella. I've decided to call it a novella to avoid any complaints from anyone who buys it expecting some sort of opus. You can read more about that decision here.

No comments:

Post a Comment